Three summers ago, when I still used DeviantArt, I saw a really awesome pair of shoes that someone painted (I think they were robot-themed). I immediately got incredibly jealous and wanted to do the same thing. So, I
forced asked my friend to do it with me, and it was SO FABULOUS. Okay, the results weren’t the most fabulous, but I had so much fun.
I had no idea how it should be done, only that the goal was to put paint on shoes. So, the process was very simple! I got a pair of white canvas shoes, and painted them with acrylic craft paint (the $1-per-bottle kind, not the super classy stuff). Once that dried, I outlined the critters with a fine-tipped Sharpie. Then to finish it up, I sprayed them with waterproofing spray (Scotch Brand Outdoor spray…you wouldn’t think that the specific type matters, but it does. More later…) And then, they were done! And they have lasted a hell of a long time. They’re still decent now, even when worn in the snow.
Here are some photos. Definitely not the best pair, but because they were the first, they have a special place in my heart-brain-space.
From this angle, they mostly just look colorful.
Then there is an octopus (I did not know how to draw octopi, and I still do not) and a fruit fly.
And then a bunch of unicorns. I KNOW HOW TO DRAW UNICORNS.
So, that’s about it for those. I think I scrawled my name on them somewhere. The sides I showed here are my two favorites, and I recall now being too fond of the other sides. Despite that, I loved these shoes, and they have protected my feet well. Oh, for the sake of chronology (I think that’s a word), these were completed in August 2008 and took around 10 hours to make.